Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Foster Parents

Well these past few weeks have been pretty crazy at my house. We maybe taking in 3 foster brothers and this will be the first time we will have foster kids. We do respite but it is a bit different. Respite we only take care of for a weekend or maybe a week but with foster kids we will be responsible for everything and everyday! We are as ready as we can be but i am still a little nervous! I know these boys will be scared and i will do my best to help ease their minds but they have had such a hard life already it might be a little hard to ease their minds! They have been let down in every way possible. Also foster care doesn't mean permanent so if they get to go back to their mother i am hoping that she betters herself and doesn't let them down again. Because if she lets them down again i will fell like i have let them down also! But don't get me wrong i am so great full that we will hopefully get to be a part in these boys lives and hopefully be someone that they can rely one and trust! This kind of leads me to thoughts of all the kids out there that get tossed around from one place to another or the kids that are stuck in neglectful homes and never get help. I fell so bad for these kids! Some of them have their spirits broken before they even find out who they are. There are kids that have fetal alcohol syndrome and some that are hooked on drugs when they are born because their mom did drugs when she was pregnant. I just can't imagine how people can do this to such innocent little kids. These are things i know happen but really do they need to!? I was never around any of this at least that i knew of when i was little so moving up here and taking in respite kids has really opened my eyes! As much as I want to have children of my own and i plan on having them someday hopefully soon, i think right now helping any kids i can is a job that i need to do. Seeing where these kids come from helps me not stress about stuff that really isn't that important! I couldn't imagine not know where my parents are or not being able to call them on the phone just to say hi. I can't comprehend not liking my parents or not even wanting to see them again. Don't get me wrong though some of these kids really do want to see their parents and love them so much they don't really care what they did to them. Also their are the kids that have done something wrong and that's why they are in foster care but my thought it is why weren't the parents their to somewhat guild them!
On the happier side of all of that you have the foster parents that really care about these kids and are helping them become better people or at least pulling that better person out of them. We have had an opportunity to work and get to know some of these people and they are wonderful. There are bad foster parents out there but we haven't met any yet! The ones we work with really take the time to get to know the children and the little things about them because you really can't treat any of them the same because they have all come from different places.
So in all i hope that we get the chance to be foster parents to these boys and hope that someday i can look back and say that i am glad i did this and i really did make a positive difference in so many kids lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment