Thursday, February 12, 2009

Past and Present

This past weekend my husband had his high school basketball alumni tournament and it was kind of exciting for me to go back also. My husband and I both when to the same school and graduated the same year so I know a lot of the people also. Not only did I go to school there but my sister who is eight years older also went there so I know a lot of the people in the generations ahead of me. Anyway while sitting and watching some of the games my friend and I got to talking about the difference in the people that graduated ahead of us and those that graduated behind us. The ones that were ahead of us don’t really seem to change much and we figure that is because they look older when we are younger. And those who are younger than us seem to change a lot because they looked so young to us and now they are all grown up. To me it’s more than just a basketball tournament it’s a way to reconnect with friends that you haven’t seen since the previous year and some that you haven’t seen in many years. Our school was two different schools that consolidated into one and this year they decided to invite people from all three schools instead of two. The two original schools were rivals back when I was younger and my sister was going to one of the schools. So this year we did get to see some people that we haven’t see in such a long time. A couple of the guys were guys that when I was about 10 yrs old would play basketball with me just about every day. They taught me all the little things about basketball. It was really nice to get to see people that had helped me in different parts of my life. It was also nice to catch up with these people and see where they are and how they are doing now. It’s also funny how when some of the guys get around old friends they seem to act a little more like high school guys again and how old nick names come back. For example my husband was always known as Coleman (Coleman was his last name) but now that we are married he has changed his last name to my last name and so I just find it funny that no matter how long you are out of high school that part of your life need ends! I can’t wait till next year’s tournament to see how everyone changes and hopefully see more people that I haven’t seen in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment